You can’t take burp cloths to a bridal shower? Darn.

trashtotreasure

Morning!
And by that, I mean, I’ve been up since 4 a.m. for NO reason and am super happy about it! 😉

I have a bridal shower to attend this weekend and I don’t know the bride very well – she’s marrying into a family we’ve known for a long time.  I’d like to make something but I am struggling with what to make.
Baby showers have been very fun and pretty easy… I mean, it’s baby stuff.  It’s all so stinkin’ cute!

Here’s the set of burp cloths I made for a relative recently.

She does not know what gender her baby is, so I went with a fun, neutral palette.  And actually everything came from my stash, which is even more awesome!

I had found some Gerber cloth diapers on super sale somewhere a while ago.  The polka dot fabric was from Joann with a coupon.  The orange was a remnant at Joann.  And actually – ready for this?  The yellow was from a thrifted T shirt!  (washed well, I assure you.)

I had a ball making these.  I’m not a very precise, planned, or anywhere near perfect seamstress.  I have a simple machine and I do simple designs.
I kind of just went with what popped into my head (and Lord knows what that could be these days) although I knew I wanted to do bunting.  I mean, it’s everywhere and it is SO cute!!

So I cut the little triangles (and for that matter, all the letters, and other appliques) out of fabric, and then used Fray Check on them all.  Once they were dried, I pinned them into place and sewed away.
The bunting was super easy.  I used white thread to sew down the triangles, which actually worked very nicely because it made the bunting look “real.”  Then once the triangles were done, I switched over to some brown thread and just loosely followed the tops of the triangles, to make the “line” they were hanging on.  I am really pleased with how it turned out.  I will definitely be doing this again!  
Wouldn’t it make cute kids bedding??  Hmm… (mentally filing that one away.)

I sketched out the letters with pencil and then cut them.  You could obviously use a stencil if you have one.

The argyle was easy, too.  I sewed down the diamonds, then used the machine and some red thread and eyeballed it to make the X’s on top.  It is not perfect, but I kind of like it… it looks a little shabby chic.

These honestly didn’t take that much time, and were a hit with the mom-to-be.  I got the nicest thank-you note.  Thanks, cousin!!  Wish they lived closer… they will be fantastic parents. :-)

Now… back to the curbside chair I am destroying reupholstering.

I believe I have now spent 5 hours pulling staples out of that thing.

Cheers,
Anne

Oh, and I’m linking this up!

Today's Creative Blog

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*